Dutch island life and high delicacies is a good match!
It’s robust to beat a day on the seashore, which then ends in a comfortable restaurant, the place you get handled to a 5 or 6 course menu.
And whenever you head to Texel within the Netherlands, that is simply what you get to expertise. I just lately visited Texel and was stunned by its unbelievable delicacies and the way the cooks on the island combine the native merchandise to serve probably the most scrumptious meals.
I like to recommend just a few Texel eating places that I used to be fortunate sufficient to eat at in our article “Best Things to Do on Texel, Netherlands“.
I had the pleasure of making an attempt many alternative programs and every one was its personal spotlight. One particular spotlight for me nonetheless, was the bacon cake (Spekkoek)!
And, fortunate for me (and also you!), the chef from the Drank & Spijslokaal Het Schoutenhuys shared the bacon cake recipe which he serves in his restaurant. I tasted his model and it was so good!
So, right here’s your alternative to get your Texel expertise at dwelling with this bacon cake recipe:
Prepare dinner Time:
1 hour half-hour
I visited the island Texel within the Netherlands and loved a 6 course menu on the Schoutenhuys restaurant.
They serve native delicacies, however Asian fashion within the dimension of tapas.
For dessert, we bought served the very scrumptious Spekkoek (bacon cake).
The recipe is from the cookbook “Kleine gerechten uit de indische keuken” by Ciska Kress.
- 500g butter
- 10 eggs
- 500g white high quality sugar (Basterdsuiker)
- 250g wheat flour
- 5 tsp anise powder
- 10 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tsp clove powder
- 3 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 ½ tsp cardamom powder
For this recipe you want an oven the place you’ll be able to function high and backside warmth individually.
Use a springform pan with 22 cm.
- First, cream the butter with a mixer till clean. Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks and the high quality sugar to the butter.
- Beat the combination for about 10 minutes with the mixer.
- Beat the egg whites and add them, then add the flour. Combine this dough nicely.
- Divide the dough into two halves, add all of the spices to at least one half.
- Preheat the oven to 275 levels for 10 minutes.
- Grease the springform pan with butter. Now set the oven to the bottom setting (125 levels). Bake the primary skinny layer within the oven for 3 to 4 minutes with backside warmth solely.
- Then flip off the underside warmth and activate the highest warmth. Bake alternating brown and white layers, about 18 to twenty whole. You may count on 3 minutes of baking time per layer.
In whole, the baking course of will take about 50-60 minutes.
- When the springform pan is totally full, flip off the highest warmth and activate the underside warmth.
So let the cake relaxation for an additional 5 to 10 minutes at 125 levels.
Let the cake cool and reduce into skinny slices.
There are way more scrumptious native Texel meals. It’s onerous to pick only one and there’s truly no want to take action, because the VVV Texel has an entire checklist of local Texel recipes here.