Summertime is enjoyable time. As a result of we by no means need you or a cherished one to be injured, we encourage you to consider security when planning enjoyable actions.
I’d wish to share summer time seasonal security ideas from Secure Children Pennsylvania, a company I work with to forestall accidents and educate households about security.
Earlier than you strap in for street journeys or holidays, ensure that your automotive seat is put in appropriately and that you’re being secure on the street. Keep in mind to at all times use your seat belt and by no means depart a baby unattended in a automotive, even for a minute.
Kaitlyn Blackburn, D.O.:Learn, don’t ignore the warning signs for stroke
In case you or another person you already know has an at-home pool, make certain to stick to primary water security tips. Hold these tips in thoughts when yourt household travels for swimming or boating — conditions the place water security is necessary.
In nicer climate, you may need to air out your house by opening the home windows. Keep in mind to open them from the highest if potential or set up window guards and stops to forestall falls.
Fireworks could be enjoyable when security is taken into account The most secure selection is to go away fireworks to the professionals and to go to a public present.
However in case you are setting fireworks off at house:
- Solely set off fireworks exterior, away from vehicles, buildings and any flammable supplies (together with bushes, bushes, dried grass/leaves).
- Hold kids a secure distance away from the place fireworks are being set off (round 150 ft or 50 yards at the very least).
- Buy fireworks from a dependable supply, and solely use them as directed (by no means alter them).
- Have an grownup conduct the household present, and a special grownup supervise all kids.
- Anybody utilizing fireworks ought to have correct security gear, together with security glasses and water close by.
- If a firework is a “dud” don’t attempt to relight it. As a substitute, wait 20 minutes after which soak it in a bucket of water.
- Soak all spent fireworks in water earlier than putting them in an outside trash can.
For a public firework present, youngsters could be extra snug utilizing headphones to dam the loud noises. Take this into consideration when planning to attend a present.
The place to see fireworks:CelebrateErie, bayfront fireworks to return this summer
Extra data on summer time harm prevention could be discovered on the Secure Children Pennsylvania web site, www.pasafekids.org.
Sarah L. Mattocks, R.N., is director of trauma providers at UPMC Hamot.