Sicily is in fact part of Italy and is the biggest island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of sights that make it well-known.
This beautiful island is likely one of the twenty areas of Italy and is legendary for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and will undoubtedly be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the proper mixture of lovely landscapes, implausible seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one in every of Europe’s greatest climates, so it’s no surprise that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary might seem like.
Right here’s plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is legendary for its stunning fountains and superb piazzas. However largely for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is likely one of the essential causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals because of this alone, and one of many main sights you can’t overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance inside the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you’ll be able to bask in all types of scrumptious and native avenue meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the full of life environment, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your method to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to strive some well-known avenue meals equivalent to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to study the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. In case you’re feeling adventurous, remember to strive the well-known beef spleen sandwich referred to as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you’re able to tackle a few of Palermo’s greatest sights over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a implausible constructing of nice significance inside the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and might be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on this planet.
If you end up with time in your palms and are in search of extra issues to do, then make sure that so as to add these optionally available sights to your listing.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You’ll be able to go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. You’ll find some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, contemporary fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
In the present day, you’ll depart Palermo and observe the north coast in the direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a surprising hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a implausible resort city, which is unquestionably price a go to. In your first night, make sure that to take a stroll down the bustling essential avenue of Corso Umberto and choose a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not absorb an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an important expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The following day, there are a bunch of actions you’ll be able to take pleasure in on this stunning coastal city, together with:
- Enjoyable on one of many seashores equivalent to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has the most effective view of town and Mt Etna and is, in fact, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to calm down and the proper spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the proper place to go to to see superb waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to dwell music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to a couple of of the film’s movie areas within the city of Savoca, simply outdoors Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll depart Taormina and head to Catania. Nonetheless, you’ll in fact be stopping at one of the vital well-known sights on the island alongside the way in which–Mount Etna. This lively stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You’ll be able to both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you’ll be able to merely spend a while having fun with the views and the limitless photograph alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Notice: Whereas Italy is mostly not an unsafe place to go to, try to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and care for your valuables in locations equivalent to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you simply simply can’t overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, anticipate to be greeted by a implausible view of Mount Etna, which varieties the long-lasting backdrop of this beautiful metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the environment of town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you’ll have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with beautiful frescos. On condition that this historic location is now getting used for live shows, test their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This stunning and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there isn’t a motive to overlook out on seeing the great baroque structure which makes this so widespread. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose pageant is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, make sure that to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in most of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other stunning night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a surprising sundown over Mount Etna, as you absorb all you’ve gotten encountered right now, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
In the present day, after a contemporary and engaging Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your method to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its sights in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your method right here, you’ll be able to cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is likely one of the most important historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the numerous mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’re going to get the possibility to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, it is a main function within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed through a bridge and is legendary for its unimaginable Baroque type Piazza del Duomo–top-of-the-line in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, provided that it’s well-known for the Modica sweets—which you’ll style and, in fact, take residence. This city is famed for its stunning array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this stunning hilly city, earlier than making your method again to Catania on your final night in Sicily, closing off your implausible 8 day Sicily itinerary.