HDOT and companion companies kick off No Excuses marketing campaign previous to the vacation season
HONOLULU – Site visitors security advocates across the state have only one want this vacation season–for everybody to reach alive. To make this want come true, the Hawaii Division of Transportation (HDOT), Hawaii State Division of Well being, 4 county police departments, MADD Hawaii, group members and different site visitors security companions are teaming as much as remind everybody to drive safely, be aware of all roadway customers and buckle up. If all of us take these easy steps, all our family and friends can ring within the New Yr collectively.
Preliminary state knowledge signifies that there’s a 13-percent enhance in site visitors fatalities from final yr (80 in comparison with 71 throughout the identical time final yr). Of the 80 fatalities, almost half have been associated to dashing. Considerably there was a 142-percent enhance in bike fatalities, with 29 motorcyclists killed in comparison with 12 throughout the identical time final yr. Toxicology outcomes are nonetheless pending on many 2021 site visitors fatalities. These outcomes will inform impaired driving-related statistics, however historic knowledge exhibits almost half of the drivers in deadly crashes in Hawaii examined optimistic for medicine or alcohol.
Main into and all through the vacations, HDOT and its site visitors security companions might be growing training, enforcement and group engagement, beginning with a somber reminder of why we do what we do. On Nov. 21 (World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims), HDOT, the Honolulu Police Division (HPD), Maui Police Division, Kauai Police Division, Hawaii Police Division, MADD Hawaii and companion companies will mild digital candles and be part of nationwide and worldwide companions in remembering the individuals killed in site visitors crashes.
“These victims now not have voices, so we’re talking for them and doing our greatest to verify there aren’t any extra of those mindless and preventable tragedies,” HDOT Deputy Director for Highways Ed Sniffen stated. “It’s completely heartbreaking for the households who should say goodbye due to another person’s irresponsible actions. There actually isn’t any excuse for all of those harmful behaviors and tragic deaths.”
The “No Excuses” vacation enforcement and training will start on Wednesday, Nov. 24, with signal waving held in quite a few areas all through the state and strict enforcement of site visitors security legal guidelines, together with dashing, impaired driving, distracted driving, seat belt and pedestrian security.
Members of the family and mates of victims killed in speed-related and/or impaired driving crashes might be current at choose signal waving websites to share their tales.
As well as, all 4 county police departments might be conducting sobriety checkpoints and/or saturation patrols. For the third yr, the Maui Police Division will dedicate a checkpoint on Nov. 24 to the reminiscence of Hannah Brown, who was 19 years previous when she was killed by an impaired driver in 2019.
“Legislation enforcement companies throughout the state proceed to conduct site visitors enforcement to stop mindless tragedies and save lives,” Performing Main James Slayter of the HPD’s Site visitors Division stated. “Our dedication hasn’t wavered, however we want everybody else to do their half, too. Decelerate, drive sober, put on your seat belt and be careful for all roadway customers so that everybody can get house safely.”
“As a group, we will’t simply watch for this downside to repair itself or simply go away,” Slayter added. “We should all come collectively and share the duty to make sure our roadways are secure.”
Different vacation security marketing campaign actions will embody:
- Public service bulletins (PSA) that might be airing on tv and social media platforms. The PSAs remind drivers that there isn’t any excuse for driving whereas impaired or dashing, and to decelerate and benefit from the trip.
- MADD Hawaii Pink Ribbon Problem – Take the MADD Red Ribbon Challenge and present your dedication to by no means drink and drive. Be artistic with the place you Tie One On for Security and publish a photograph or video of your MADD Pink Ribbon on social media with #RedRibbonChallenge808. Don’t overlook to tag MADD Hawaii on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Decide up your purple ribbons from Aloha Island Marts, Foodland and Napa Auto Components statewide.
- In help of MADD’s Tie One On for Security marketing campaign, HDOT might be tying a purple ribbon on all Freeway Service Patrol vans and all Highways Division state automobiles all through the vacations.
Secure journey ideas
HDOT urges Hawaii’s roadway customers to:
- Decelerate and obey the velocity limits;
- At all times buckle up – each journey, day and evening, year-round;
- Plan a secure approach house earlier than you begin consuming intoxicants;
- Do not forget that it’s by no means okay to drink and drive. Even one alcoholic beverage can sluggish response instances and impair judgement; and,
- If you recognize somebody who’s about to drive whereas impaired, be a real buddy and take their keys away. Assist them make different preparations to get them to their vacation spot safely.